Thursday, April 14, 2011

St. Patrick Day Shirts

This year instead of trying to find the perfect St. Patrick's Day shirt I thought I'd make my kids their shirts.

Photobucket

Supplies:
Tshirt
Fabric of your choice
Sewable Heat Transfer
Coordinating thread
Fabric Paint (I just used Acrylic paint)
Freezer Paper

I bought their shirts at Target for $3.00.

Photobucket

Next I picked up some Green fabric from Walmart. It was pretty cheap I think I spent $0.27 for the little bit that I bought. I already had the heat transfer so I didn't need to buy that.

So pretty much each shirt costed me $3.27 to make.

First I found a four leaf clover on the web. I found this one:


I resized it to fit the shirts that I had bought. Gavin's four leaf clover was a little bit smaller then Zacks naturally.

I cut the fabric and the heat transfer to the size of the clover picture that I had printed.

Photobucket

I then ironed on the heat transfer as directed on the package. Remember to use the Sewable heat transfer if you are planning on sewing the shirts. I wanted them to last so I sewed my design on.

Next I pinned the clover to my fabric. And cut it out.

Photobucket

Photobucket

After the clover was cut out I peeled the paper off the heat transfer (as directed on the packaging) and ironed it to my shirt. Not sure if because it was sewable transfer paper or if I'd had it for a while, but the edges didn't stay down very well. The rest of it held in place so it was workable.

Photobucket

After I had the four leaf clover where I wanted it on the shirt I figured out how big I wanted my words. I'm not very creative so I just used the word LUCKY. I have the program Cricut DesignStudio on my computer (LOVE IT). By using the Design Studio I'm able to make my letters exactly how wide and long I want them to be. I can also move the letters so they are closer to further apart to each other. (So much I'm able to do with this program).

Photobucket

When I was finished with my word on DesignStudio I cut out the letters using my Cricut and Freezer paper. Freezer paper is amazing because it can be used like removable heat transfer paper. I basically cut out the letters out of the freezer paper and ironed it onto the shirt so it was a template for the paint.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I just used acrylic paint because that's what I had onhand. Plus have you ever gotten acrylic paint on your clothes? That stuff does not come out easily. And since I wasn't worried about it fading to much that's what I used. Make sure when you are painting to dab not brush. You don't want the freezer paper to get peeled up.

Photobucket

Let the paint dry then peel off the freezer paper carefully.

Photobucket

I didn't get a picture of the sewing process. But with your coordinating thread using the sewing machine (or by hand if you want) sew around the four leaf clover and stem.

And there you have a easy St. Patrick's day shirt.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment